Achieve Higher Conversions with Landing Page Optimization
When it comes to achieving higher conversion, marketers often come up with an overflow of strategies to implement to stay one step ahead of the competition. Landing page optimization is frequently among the top priorities, but it is not always pursued with the right means and can result in poor performance.
What is Landing Page Optimization?
Landing Page Optimization (LPO) is the process of enhancing and improving all the elements of your landing page to increase conversions. Through analytics, psychology and strategic design tips you can repurpose on your landing page to improve your conversion rate and your ROI over time.
Landing pages are an important marketing tool that, if designed correctly and optimized in an effective way, can significantly change the course of your marketing campaigns. Our recommendation is to follow a 5 step process to make sure you implement highly converting landing pages that appeal to your target audience and compel them to take action.
The 5 Milestones of LPO
The 5 milestones of LPO will help you craft a powerful marketing strategy to increase conversions:
- Starting from the bottom of the pyramid, your landing page must be functional. Research has shown that slow-loading webpages cost retailers $2.6 billion in lost sales each year. This means that your landing page must be technically smooth, with no complications that might annoy users or cause them to leave the page before converting.
- Accessibility is another key element for a highly converting landing page: it shouldn’t take more than one click for visitors to end up on the actionable section of your landing page.
- Along with functionally and accessibility, your landing page must be easy to use and navigate. It takes only 2.6 seconds for a user to land on the area of your website that most influences their first impression. Do not confuse your users with multiple actions and conversion goals, rather provide a simple, straightforward tool to lead them to conversion easily.
- Users do not want to spend too much time trying to understand where to click or how to pay, these issues might force them to find other options. Make sure your page is user-friendly and intuitive, visual hierarchy plays a great role at this stage and can help visitors focalize the most important elements of your page.
- Last but not least, a persuasive copy can make or break your campaign. The average user spends less than 6 seconds reading the copy on your website, meaning you have less than 6 seconds to catch their attention with compelling content. Remember to put yourself into your visitors’ shoes and produce a curated copy that highlights the benefits of your product or service and communicates its essentiality.
The Perfect Landing Page is Not Created Overnight
Landing Page Optimization is the result of constant, smaller conversion rate optimization strategies that are implemented over time as you gather feedback on the efficacy of your landing page.
First and foremost, optimization starts with understanding the origin of your audience, which traffic sources potential customers are coming from. Depending on such information, you might decide to design your landing page differently: as an example, if your potential customers are mainly coming from social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram, you might decide to focus on images and visual content more than written paragraphs, as that is what will catch your visitors’ attention.
Testing on different platforms and running parallel campaigns will help you gain a deeper understanding of your target audience and improve all elements across your landing pages to achieve higher conversion rates.
Secondly, it is important to deliver a consistent message and branding image over all marketing channels. Highly converting landing pages are characterized by a clear, compelling offering that is able to present the product or service as essential for visitors. This sense of urgency can be achieved through thoughtful positioning of different elements across the landing page, as well as through a strategic choice of colors. Read our recent blog on how design affects conversions for more recommendations.
Lastly, simplicity is fundamental to increase conversions in the short-run. Traffic is defined as high quality when visitors finalize at least one conversion on your page, and the average time they spend on your page is 45 seconds. This means that in just 45 seconds your page should be able to present your offer, engage visitors and smoothly lead them to the end of their conversion path. Following this logic, the least amount of actions that can be taken, the highest the probability of conversion.
In a Nutshell
Landing page optimization is the result of a process of constant, specific improvements across each element of your landing page, based on feedback from users and campaign performance analytics. By following the 5 milestones of LPO you’ll be able to improve the efficacy of your landing page, drive more conversions and ultimately increase your ROI.
These are only a few essential guidelines for a successful landing page optimization strategy, for more strategic tips on landing pages best practices subscribe to our blog and get in touch with one of our marketing experts.